January 19 - 1889 Yorkshire gain revenge against 'Natives'

Facing a powerful Yorkshire team, out to reverse its previous loss, a “knocked about” “Natives” team suffered its heaviest defeat of the tour, losing 4 – 16. Two tries by Tom Ellison gave the score some respectability.

Tom Ellison scored two tries

“Now the Native team faced a Yorkshire side determined to set the record straight after its previous debacle. Against a back-line which included such notables as R.E. Lockwood, J.W. Sutcliffe and F. Bonsor, who were soon to play for England at Blackheath, a “terribly knocked about” Native team stood little chance. They conceded three converted tries and a 9-0 lead before Ellison scored in the corner just on half-time. Immediately after the resumption Bradley landed a long dropped goal for Yorkshire and Stadden soon followed with a try. Next, Lockwood evaded Gage, Madigan and Billy Warbrick to run in a sensational try from deep inside his own half making the score 16-1. But in the final moments Ellison scored his second try and McCausland’s sideline conversion made the score a marginally more respectable 16-4. This was by far the heaviest defeat of the tour.”

From “Forerunners of the All Blacks” by Greg Ryan. Published 1993 by Canterbury University Press. P.81.



It was now Yorkshire’s chance to avenge its defeat of December 12, and they did so effectually. The Native Team at this time — as at others — was terribly knocked about; and it was scarcely possible to find 15 sound men out of the 26, and such a handicap was too much against such a powerful combination as Yorkshire put against us; every man of their team being as fresh as paint, and topsawyers at the game, every one of them.

The recognised meeting between the Yorkshire County Team and that of New Zealand (better known as the Maoris) took place on Saturday, on the ground of the Trinitarians at Wakefield. There has been a previous match between representatives of the broad-acre shire and the Maoris, but it was what might be termed a scratch match — Yorkshire being represented on that occasion by what was justly designated as a second team, and it is not to be wondered at therefore that the Tykes had the worst of the encounter. The game which took place on Saturday was of a very different description, and whilst there is no gainsaying the fact that the Maoris played a good game, at the same time they had but a poor chance when opposed to the crack Yorkshire contingent, who eclipsed their opponents at all points of the game, and at the finish were hailed victors by 5 goals, 1 try, and 6 minor points, to the New Zealanders 1 goal, 1 try, and 1 minor point. Considering the importance of the match we must express our surprise at the meagre attendance, which we should think fell short of 6000 spectators, which is about one-third of the number that would have gathered to witness the game had it taken place at either Bradford or Leeds. We are at a loss to account for the sparse attendance, but we must say that those who were present were well rewarded for all their trouble. The ground was in splendid trim, thanks to the assiduous attention of the Trinity executive) and the result was that the play was both fast and exciting throughout. There was some slight alteration in both teams, but it was of little importance, and punctually at the time appointed for commencing operations, Jacketts started the ball for Yorkshire towards the town goal. Elliott failed to return, and Bradley then ran smartly to the Maoris’ 25. Mccausland gained ground for the ‘ Blacks ‘ with a short run to near the centre, when, from the ensuing scrimmage, Stadden got possession and put in a strong run, and then turned the ball over to Sutcliffe, who passed to Bradley. The Goole representative raced away to the Maoris’ line, where he transferred the ball to Holmes, who was well up, and that player completed the effort in splendid style, planting the ball right behind the posts. The place-kick was entrusted to Sutcliffe; who landed the major point amid enthusiastic applause. Following the re-start, the Maoris went off at high pressure, Keogh, Gage, and Madigan doing some very clever work. The last-named made a very strong run from the centre, but was brought to grass by Bonsor just in the nick of time, arid the ‘All White’ scrimmagers, with an irresistible rush, carried play to the Maoris’ quarter. Lowrie was then to the fore with a clever though short dribble, to which W. Warbrick responded with a strong run to the centre. Lockwood and Bradley then did some serviceable kicking on behalf of the Tykes; but the Maoris, who showed capital defence, continued to repel the attacks of their opponents in fine style. Ultimately a strong rush of the ‘Blacks’’ forwards, in which Karauria was specially noticeable, transferred play to Yorkshire’s quarter-line, where Bradley rendered yeoman service by a daring ‘save.’ A penalty kick given to Yorkshire transferred play to mid-field. From here Ellison made a short sprint to the Tykes’ quarter-line, but smart work by Stadden and Bradley quickly removed the danger, and play followed at the centre. From a line-out in this vicinity Lowrie, Wilkinson, Jowett, and Holmes made off with the ball at their toes and crossed the Maoris’ quarter-line, where Jowett- gathered the ball and completed a clever bit of play by rushing over the line and Sutcliffe converted the point, to the delight of the spectators. Bradley was the first to show up after the re-start, a smart run by him being quickly followed by an equally good one on the part of Lockwood, which was the means of Yorkshire taking up a position in close proximity to their opponents’ line. The Maoris’ backs defended grandly; but Dodd’s reply to a huge kick by W. Warbrick forced them to concede a minor. Following the dropout the Yorkshiremen again assumed the aggressive, and quickly forced another minor point. After the drop-out Jones got hold, and ran the ball to the Maoris’ 25, where he passed to Jowett, who got through all opposition in grand style, and registered try number three for Yorkshire, Sutcliffe once more proving equal to the occasion. Directly after the kick-off Gage made a fair catch in a good position, and the ball was placed for McCausland, who made a brilliant attempt at goal; the ball just going under the bar, the Maoris thus registering their first point—a minor. This seemed to infuse new energy into them, and playing with any amount of dash and ‘go,’ they quickly got to the Yorkshire line, and Ellison got over close to the corner flag —the effort being cheered again and again by the spectators. McCausland took the place but failed to utilise it, and half-time arrived with the score— Yorkshire 3 goals and 2 minor points, to Natives 1 try and 1 minor point.

After change of ends Ellison started operations by kicking off, to which Bonsor replied with interest, play settling down in the Maoris’ half. Directly afterwards Bradley got hold from a pass by Stadden, and with a quick left-foot drop he landed a magnificent goal; the feat being greeted by round after round of cheers. The teams had hardly settled down to work after a restart before Stadden dashed up the touch-line, and got over close to the corner flag. The position was a difficult one, and Sutcliffe was unable to manage a goal this time, though his shot went very near. The Yorkshiremen still held the advantage, and Bradley registered another minor against the Maoris by a long kick. The Maoris showed grand defensive play, but could not repel their opponents. Sutcliffe, by an attempt at goal, added another minor, to which was quickly added another; and Lockwood, after a grand rim, got right up to the line before he was tackled by Gage. Following this, Madigan ran strongly to the centre, where his progress was cleverly stayed by Lockwood. The Maoris made still further headway — a rush of the scrimmagers, headed by Effison and Karauria, carrying the game to Yorkshire’s 25. Then followed the most sensational bit of play in the match. When in the Tykes’ 25 Sutcliffe got possession and passed smartly to Lockwood, who raced off at top speed. Slipping by Madigan and Gage, he ran straight for the Maoris line, with the two last-named in hot pursuit; but every yard that was covered saw the little international drawing farther and farther away from his pursuers; and amid a scene of the wildest enthusiasm, Lockwood dodged by W. Wynyard — the Maori full-back – and planted the ball behind the posts. The try was a magnificent one, and fully equal to any we have ever seen scored, and the applause with which it was greeted was as unstinted as it was deserved. Suteliffe once again piloted the ball over the bar. The attack on the Maoris’ citadel was still kept up; Lockwood, Sutcliffe, Stadden, and Bradley on the one side, and W. Wynyard, Madigan, and Gage on the other, doing good service. But despite the strenuous exertions of the Maoris, they were obliged to concede another minor. Ellison then made a splendid run to the Tykes’ half, where he was brought down by Lockwood, and a kick by Sutcliffe once more caused Yorkshire to take up a position in their opponents’ quarter. The Maoris, however, made a final spurt, and by a series of strong rushes got back to Yorkshire 25, and

Ellison got over near to the corner flag just before call of time. McCausland, from a difficult place, landed the goal in fine style, and the game ended with the score as stated above.

The following were the teams:

Yorkshire:—J. Dodd, back; R. E. Lockwood, J. W. Sutcliffe, and J. Bradley, three-quarter-backs; F. Bonsor and W. Stadden, half-backs; J. Binks, F. Lowrie, J. H. Jones, H. Bedford, G. Jacketts, E. Holmes, H. Wilkinson, D. Jowett, and — Else forwards. Umpire—Mr. Baron Kilner, Wakefield.

New Zealanders:—W. Warbrick, back; C. Madigan, W. Wynyard, E. McCausland, three-quarter-backs; W. Elliott, P. Keogh, and D. Gage, half-backs; G. Wynyard, T. Ellison, R. Taiaroa, H. Lee, G. Williams, W. Karauria, D. Stewart, and J. Rene, forward. Umpire—J. Warbrick.

Referee—Mr. G. Rowland Hill, hon. see. English Rugby Union.”

From “RUGBY FOOTBALL AND THE TOUR OF THE NATIVE TEAM”, compiled by T Eyton. Published 1896.P. 49-52.