February 28 - 1942 2NZEF finish Middle East season

With a team including four pre-war and one post-war All Blacks the 2NZEF team overwhelmed a side from the rest of Cairo 44 – 6 at the Maadi Sporting Club in a game considered “one to remember”.




Nine times New Zealanders crossed the line when the 2NZEF overwhelmed Major Graham’s XV from the Rest of Cairo by 44 points to 6 in the final Rugby match of the season at the Maadi Sporting Club. Superior in every department the New Zealanders played sparkling All Black Rugby and piled up 20 points to 3 in the first spell. The Cairo side selected by Major Graham included men of the Imperial and South African Forces.

The brilliant New Zealand backline was composed of well-known stars all on their very best form. Parsons excelled himself behind the scrum sending away accurate dive passes from the feet of Graham’s forwards. K. Welsh and J. L. Sullivan. the Taranaki All Black recently out of hospital, teamed perfectly with McAneny accepting every opportunity at centre. On the wings were the sprint champion W. P. McHugh and South Canterbury All Black T. C. Morrison. Fleming was again particularly sound at fullback. The forward battle was more even but the relentless New Zealand forwards gradually wore their opponents down. Where there was one you saw the lot of them exerting terrific pressure in both tight and loose play. Their screwing of the scrums on this bone dry field was an object lesson culminating in their taking all before them. The New Zealanders, once the forwards had gained supremacy, threw the ball about, sometimes almost across the field and it was thrilling open Rugby all the way. The New Zealanders seemed to increase the pace of the game throughout to the final whistle. Their game was one to remember.

The teams were:

2NZEF: J Fleming, W. P. McHugh, A. McAneny, T. C. Morrison, J. L. Sullivan, K. Welsh, D. J. Parsons, J. Wells, L. R. Pye, P. P. Donoghue, j. B. Coull, J. Finlay, T. G. Fowler.

A. Lambourn, R. Walker, T. Hegglun replaced L. R. Pye who was injured in the second spell.

Major Graham’s XV: Uys, Davies, Le Roux. Meyers, Van Blerk, Jones, Pebbles, Hatwell, Foster, de Glanville, du Boisson, St. Quentin, Gordon, Powlesland, Joy

For 2NZEF 44: Tries by Morrison, Fowler. Walker, McHugh (2), Lambourn, Parsons, Finlay and Wells. Penalties by Fleming. Morrison and Welsh. Conversions by Fleming and Welsh (3).

For Major Graham’s XV 6: A penalty by St. Quentin and a try by winger Davies which was popular with the crowd.

Referee: S/Sgt. Nicol 2NZEF.”

From “Rugby versus Rommel”, edited by P P Donoghue. Published 1961 for NZEF Rugby Reunion. P. 46.

Jack Sullivan - out of hospital